1/1 Photo of Meatless Mushroom Bolognese Pizza
1 hr 5 mins
We have family pizza night every Friday night, and made this one during the Lent Season. Delicious....even if you aren't searching for a meatless dish! I love the combination of mushroom and Fontina, but you can substitute mozzarella cheese if you like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water (105 F to 115 F)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups flour (approx)
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- olive oil, to coat the bowl
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup carrot, minced
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, minced
- 4 ounces mushrooms, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 ounces marsala wine (good quality)
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1To make a pizza crust, coat a large bowl with teaspoon of olive oil and set aside.
- 2Stir first three ingredients together and let sit for 10 minutes, until nice and foamy.
- 3Place 1 1/2 cups of white flour and 1 1/2 cups of wheat flour in large bowl and mix in salt.
- 4Place one cup of regular white flour on work surface.
- 5Mix pour olive oil into yeast mixture and then pour yeast mixture into bowl with flour.
- 6Stir until as combined as possible.
- 7Turn out onto floured surface.
- 8With well floured hands, knead dough to work in the cup of flour on the board.
- 9Continue kneading until nice, smooth dough-ball is formed; approximately four minutes.
- 10Place in well oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, then kitchen towel and let sit for 30 minutes.
- 11Dough should double (at least).
- 12While the dough is rising, prepare the sauce.
- 13In a saute pan over medium-high heat bring olive oil to a light sizzle.
- 14Add the minced carrots and onions.
- 15Cook for 2 to 3 minutes stirring constantly.
- 16Add the minced mushrooms-stir well.
- 17Season with the salt and pepper.
- 18Cook until vegetables are tender-about 2 minutes.
- 19Add the garlic and thyme, toss well.
- 20Pour Marsala wine down sides of pan.
- 21Add the Marinara Sauce, stir well.
- 22Cook until sauce is heated through and the pizza dough is risen.
- 23Add the butter-stir quickly to incorporate.
- 24Use half the dough to form a large pizza crust (15 inch round), crimp the edges, brush edges with olive oil. Use the other half for another pizza.
- 25Place all of the sauce on the dough (less if you like, but I use it all).
- 26Sprinkle with chopped parsley and parmesan cheese.
- 27Top with shredded fontina cheese.
- 28Bake on pizza stone or ceramic tile at 425 F for approx 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatless Mushroom Bolognese Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.9
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 423.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 10.9 g