This is an adopted recipe that I've not yet had the chance to try. I have made similar vegetarian chilis before, and feel comfortable recommending it especially considerng the extant reviews, but would love more feedback from anyone else who might get to it before I do. Thanks!
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 (18 ounce) can tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce, 1 cup
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, to taste
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- GARNISH: corn, chopped scallions, shredded Cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, or a combination, optional.
- In a Dutch oven or 4-5 qt saucepan, heat oil.
- Saute garlic, green pepper, celery, onion, carrot, and zucchini until crisp/tender, about 3 minutes.
- As mixture cooks, stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Top each serving with a garnish, if desired.
- If you wish, set under broiler to melt cheese.
- VARIATIONS: - add 1/2 cup whole raw cashews If reheating, add addt'l liquid, such as water, tomato juice, or veg stock.