Recipe by Geema
This cheese and nut loaf is rich in taste and is every bit as satisfying as your favorite meat loaf.
Top Review by ranch-girl
This is a slightly modified version of "Cheese and Nut Loaf" from "The Greens Cook Book" The original recipe calls for dried mushrooms (soaked) and fresh mushrooms. We have made this loaf several times and it is fantastic! If you like mushrooms, chop some soaked shiitakes or porcinis (1 oz dry) and add them. If you ever get a chance to eat at "Greens" restaurant in San Francisco, do it!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, wiped clean and chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, whatever you have on hand
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roast the nuts for 5-7 minutes and then chop coarsely.
- Turn up the oven to 375°F.
- Cook the onion in the butter until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the garlic, chopped mushrooms, and herbs.
- Cook until the liquid released by the mushrooms is reduced.
- In a bowl, combine the onion/mushroom mix with the cooked rice, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese and grated cheese.
- Season to taste.
- Butter a loaf pan and fill it with the loaf mixture.
- Bake the loaf about 1 to 1/4 hours until the top is golden and rounded.
- Let the loaf sit out of the oven for 10 minutes before turning out onto a serving plate.
- Serve with a mushroom or herb bechamel sauce.