Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A vegetarian, though not vegan meatloaf that I love. Its a pretty new recipe, one that was invented last night, so feel free to deviate. But, we've already eaten it all :) Deceptively simple, even if the ingredient list is long. Many of the measurements aren't exact, and can be adjusted to taste and preference. Easiest to make with two people.
- 2 -3 slices bread, finely crumbled (practically to a powder)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- meatloaf seasoning mix, packet (I bought a 1.5 oz Kroger brand packet)
- 12 ounces defrosted vegetarian beef substitute (I prefer Quorn brand crumbles)
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (an estimation, I just eyeballed it)
- 3 stocks celery, chopped at about 1/2 cm (personal preference)
- 12 baby carrots, chopped at about 1/2 cm intervals (a similar amount of regular carrots acceptable)
- 1⁄2 of a medium yellow onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons more olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup replacement beef broth (I use Edward & Sons "not-beef" bullion cubes, veggie broth could easily work)
- garlic powder
- 1 dash salt
- freshly chopped oregano (I used 5 sprigs)
- red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- Preheat oven for 375 degrees
- Once you've powdered the bread, work in milk, then eggs, then tomato paste, 1tb olive oil, then meat loaf flavor packet.
- Once the mix has reached an even consistency add the defrosted ground beef substitute.
- Once the "beef" is incorporated, add the 1/4 cup of beef broth.
- Saute the onion, carrots and celery in a frying pan until they've softened to your preferred consistency for recipes like stews.
- Add garlic powder, marjoram, salt, pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, allspice, cinnamon all to taste (about a dash or two of each).
- Finally, to the now seasoned veggies add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar before incorporating them into the beef/bread/egg mixture.
- Add the 1/4 cup brown sugar to the now combined vegetables and "beef" mixture, mix well and spatula into a greased 4'' by 8'' loaf pan.
- Combine the glaze ingredients (broth, mustard, ketchup, brown sugar).
- Pour over the loaf, cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 45 minute.
- Remove foil.
- Bake another 15 min or until you achieve the consistency you desire.
- Allow to cool.
- Dig in! Pairs well with green beans and garlic bread!