Recipe by PanNan
A hearty and satisfying meal. You won't miss the meat. It's low cal, low fat, low sodium and full of fiber.
Top Review by ellie_
This is a hearty soup that is simple to make. Although it is very easy to make I think the prep time as indicated in the recipe is low. I also thought it would be helpful if approximate cooking times were indicated in the recipe directions. It took me about one hour but that included cutting up the vegetables. One change I made to the ingredients was I used low-sodium V-8 instead of tomato juice and I also used less oregano than the recipe indicated.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 (46 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini, drained (white kidney beans)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 4 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked small elbow macaroni, cooked without added fat and well drained (4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add celery, onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, cabbage and carrots.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato juice, beans, parsley, oregano, basil, pepper and salt.
- Simmer until beans are heated.
- Stir in cooked macaroni just before serving.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.