Recipe by Sharon123
From Light and Tasty Magazine. This has lots of flavor!
Top Review by rpgaymer
I've never had hopping john before, but this is quite good. I forgot to buy corn so I had to leave it out, but I otherwise followed the recipe exactly. In addition to the hot sauce, I topped the dish with a bunch of pickled sliced jalapeno peppers- SO GOOD. Thanks for sharing.
- 177.44 ml long grain brown rice
- 236.59 ml frozen corn
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 118.29 ml green pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml red pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml yellow pepper, chopped (or orange)
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 439.41 g can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, drained
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 14.78 ml fresh thyme, chopped or 4.92 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the corn, carrots, peppers, onion and garlic in oil for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Stir in the rice, peas and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the seasonings; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle hot sauce to taste.