From Light and Tasty Magazine. This has lots of flavor!
Make and share this Meatless Hopping John recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow pepper, chopped (or orange)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- hot sauce
- Cook the rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the corn, carrots, peppers, onion and garlic in oil for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Stir in the rice, peas and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the seasonings; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle hot sauce to taste.