1/7 Photos of Meatless Hopping John
From Light and Tasty Magazine. This has lots of flavor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper, chopped (or orange)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- hot sauce
- 1Cook the rice according to package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, saute the corn, carrots, peppers, onion and garlic in oil for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp tender.
- 3Stir in the rice, peas and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the seasonings; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- 6Sprinkle hot sauce to taste.
Nutritional Facts for Meatless Hopping John
Serving Size: 1 (163 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.9
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 265.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.0 g