Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of the tastiest meatless recipes I have tasted and full of protein. I got this receipe from my sister in B.C.. If you don't want to make the topping, Barbeque sauce works excellently.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 slices fresh bread, cubed
- 2 cups morning star brand soy crumbles (in the frozen food dept) or 2 cups loma linda brand canned soy protein veggie burgers or 2 cups worthington brand canned soy protein veggie burgers or 2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 drops liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Sautee first 3 ingredients together.
- In large bowl, combine the rest on the ingredients.
- Add sauteed to ingredients in large bowl and mix.
- Press into baking pan or 9x12 casserole.
- Mix together first 4 topping ingredients, then add water.
- Spread on topping.
- Bake@ 350 for 30-45 minute!
Turned out great. I have to admit I was a bit worried while mixing it all together- it just looked so weird. But, it does taste great. Love the topping as well. Makes a lot, we have been eating it for leftovers and it holds up great. Don't know that it actually tastes like elk, but that's fine with me! Thanks for posting this recipe, will be in our regular rotation for sure. Served with roasted potates and broccoli.
This is such a great recipe, even non-vegetarians will love it. It even makes great sandwiches with the leftovers (if there are any). The topping sauce is yummy!