Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
My family loves this meal, and my husband didn't even realize the meat was 'missing' until after dinner that night when I mentioned it. I made it for my husband and I along with 3 other guys at hunting camp, and every last drop was gone! This recipe is modified (to make it meatless) from one found in Fix-It & Forget-It. Best of all, when I priced it out late 2006, it only cost $3.50 for the entire batch! If you are out all day, make it in the crock pot. Otherwise, if you forgot or need a *slightly* faster meal, let it simmer on the stove in a dutch oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- 1 quart tomato juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can Mexican chili beans
- garlic powder, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- egg noodles (optional)
- cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Saute onion, green pepper, and celery in olive oil. (This step can be omitted if hurrying).
- Combine all ingredients (except optional additions) in a 5 qt slow cooker. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- If desired, add cooked noodles prior to serving.
- If desired, top each bowl with shredded cheddar cheese and/or sour cream.
made this first time and it turned out great, however i did add a few items as follows: - 4 or 5 nacho jalapeno slices finely chopped - 2 heaping teaspoons Goya "Recaito Cilantro cooking base - "Lightlife" Smart Ground veggie protein crumbles Most can't tell it's meatless and agree tastes great. Didn't make it too spicy hot for wife's benefit