I have been a vegetarian for the last 4 years, and missed some of the things I used to eat. Chicken fried steak is one of them; so through searching recipes and my own experience with "fake meats", I created this awesome recipe. It tastes just like the real deal, especially with country gravy (McCormick has a mix that doesn't have any meat).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces light life beef veggie crumbles (vegetarian ground beef)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sauteed
- 2 teaspoons Braggs liquid aminos or 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast (or other thickening agent)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1Mix"beef" crumbles with eggs, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, red onion, mushrooms, Bragg's (or soy sauce), 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1 Tbs steak seasoning.
- 2Form into meatballs, only slightly flattened.
- 3Brown in a pan with about 2 Tbs oil (3-4 minutes).
- 4Allow to cool (a plate with a paper towel on top works best).
- 5For batter/breading mix water, flour, 1/4 cup bread crumbs, thyme, cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp black pepper, 2 tsp salt, yeast (or thinkening agent).
- 6Allow batter to chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- 7Heat 1/2 cup oil in a pan (do"drip test" of batter into hot oil to be sure if it's hot enough/too hot, ect) on medium heat.
- 8Dredge"meatballs" in batter and shake off any excess.
- 9Fry 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides.
- 10Place on paper towels to drain.
- 11Goes great with mashed potatoes and gravy.
- 12Hope you enjoy!
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatless Chicken Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 385.5
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 887.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Braggs liquid aminos