Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
An appetizer or main dish. Fantastic
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix (I use lipton)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chili sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) jar water
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
- Make meatballs small, place in a roasting pan or 13X9 casserole dish.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Bake at 350, uncovered for 2 hours.
- When I make these ahead of time, I reheat in a crockpot on high for 4 hours, but make extra sauce to keep them moist and delicious.
I love this recipe and had lost it. Thank you so much for posting it. For those who have never tried it, you don't really taste the kraut but it is esential to this recipe. Thanks again for posting.
I'd looked for this crazy recipe for a long time. Thanks for making it available. This stuff is a real crowd pleaser.
I made this for a main dish (to use up some leftover sauerkraut) and served it over rice. The combination of flavors was certainly unusual, but good. My daughter did the cooking after I told her what to do over the phone. The only change she made was to use seasoned bread crumbs instead of plain because she didn't know the difference.