Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Delicious meatballs. Freezer Tip: Freeze leftover meatballs up to 1 month. When ready to use, in a very large skillet bring marinara sauce to a simmer. Add frozen meatballs; return to simmer. Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until heated through.
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup minced garlic (about 2 heads)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1⁄2 lbs 80% lean ground beef
- 1 cup grated grana padano (2 ounces)
- 1 (15 ounce) carton whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil for 8 minutes or until tender. Cool.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, onion mixture, ground beef, 1 cup Grana Padano, the ricotta cheese, panko, parsley, basil, salt and pepper.
- Mix to form a uniform mass and shape the mixture into 2 inch balls.
- Test one meatball before starting the next process.
- If the ricotta is too watery, add more breadcrumbs or ground beef. If it is too dry, add more ricotta.
- Place meatballs on two parchment lined 15x10x1inch baking pans.
- Brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until 165 degrees F.
- In a very large skillet bring marinara sauce to boiling.
- Add half of the meatballs to the skillet and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes or until a nice saucy consistency.
- Garnish with Grana Padano, if desired.