Recipe by Boomette
This is a recipe from the issue of July 2006 of Coup de Pouce for the barbecue. It's meatballs but in shape of sausages.
Top Review by Maya's Mama
This was very good. I felt that something was missing and that something was garlic!! The meat was very soft when raw, I added breadcrumbs to give it a more cohesive consistency. But it didn't help too much. The skewer tore right threw the meat. So I shaped them into finger and put them on a foil grill tray. And grilled them that way. The texture of the meat when cooked was AMAZING. I used fresh mint threw out (had lots left over from another recipe) and it really added a nice layer of flavour.
Will certainly be making them again, but next time i'll add garlic.
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, lightly packed
- 3 green onions, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 4 6-inch whole wheat pitas
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor, reduce in a smooth puree the parsley leaves, green onions, half of the mint, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Pour the parsley puree in a large bowl. Add egg, water and ground beef and stir. With wet hands, using about 2 heaping tablespoon each, work the mixture of ground beef in the shape of small sausages. On metal skewers or wood skewers soaked in water, thread the small beef sausages on the length.
- Set the barbecue to medium heat. Put beef skewers on a greased grill of the barbecue. Close the cover of the barbecue and cook for about 12 minutes or until ground beef is not pink inside (flip the skewers at mid-cooking).
- Meanwhile, cut pita breads in 4 and put on the grill of the barbecue. Cook for about 4 minutes or until crispy (flip at mid-cooking).
- In a small bowl, mix yogurt, remaining mint and chopped parsley until mixture is homogeneous. Serve the skewers with pita breads and yogurt sauce.