Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This recipe is a slightly modified version of one of Louis Pappas' Famous Greek Recipes.
Make and share this Meatballs With Egg-Lemon Sauce (Youverlakie Me Avgolemono) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons raw rice
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock (or a 14 oz can beef broth)
- 1 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mix beef, onion, mint, parsley, salt, pepper, and rice. Add 1/4 cup beef stock, and mix ingredients together. Form into walnut-sized meat balls.
- In a large pot, bring the remaining stock and water to a boil. Drop the meatballs into the boiling liquid, and lower the heat. Simmer on low for 45 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and add the lemon juice. While beating, add a few spoons of the hot stock into the yolks to temper them. Then add the yolk mixture to the pot of meatballs, and stir constantly until incorporated. Cover the pot and remove from the heat. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe intrigued me, as it was something that is unique to me, and sounded very appealing. It did not disappoint! I made this exactly as posted, using arborio rice, which worked out just fine. Although adding the 1/4 cup of beef stock to the meat mixture made it a little moister than I was comfortable with, the meatballs ended up holding together fine. After reading other reviews, I anticipated that the sauce would be very thin, so I added cornstarch to the yolk mixture, which thickened the sauce nicely. The lemon really brightened up the flavor and the end result was a lovely dinner enjoyed by all! Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT9.
I did not like this recipie. Sorry