Recipe by Chabear01
Posted for ZWT II - Germany This can be served over cooked noodles or Spaetzle. Found in Avons International Cookbook.
Top Review by BestTeenChef
This was delicous and so easy too!! I was out of onions so I used onion powder instead. Also for the gravy, I used skim milk with lemon juice in it (instead of storebought buttermilk) and it was quite thick!(Just how I like it!!) Thanks for another great recipe Chabear01!
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 3⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine egg and milk; stir in bread crumbs, chopped onion, mustard, salt, and pepper. Add meat; mix well. Shape into 30 1 1/2 inch meatballs (I make my meatballs smaller).
- In large skillet cook meatballs in hot oil, turning often, 25 minutes or until done. Remove Meatballs,reserving 2 tbls dripping.
- Add to drippings sliced onion; cook till tender. Stir together flour, 1/4 tsp salt, and buttermilk; add to skillet. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat. Return meatballs to skillet. Cook 2 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked noodles or spaetzle.