1/1 Photo of Meatballs that Make Their Own Sauce
1 hr 10 mins
An oldie but goodie-the book the original version was in, "Lean Cuisine," is a 1979 copyright. The sauce will surprise you--it really does get pretty thick.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, broken up
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 lb lean ground beef, preferably round
- 1/4 parsley
- 1 small onions, minced or 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1 pinch garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1Moisten bread with water.
- 2Mix throughly with remaining meatball ingredients.
- 3Shape into 8 medium or 16 small meatballs.
- 4Brown meatballs on all sides.
- 5Combine sauce ingredients in large saucepan.
- 6Heat to boiling.
- 7Add meatballs.
- 8Simmer UNCOVERED until tomato juice has reduced to a fairly-thick sauce-about ONE HOUR.
- 9Skim any fat (or refrigerate overnight and skim congealed fat).
- 10Serve with crusty Italian bread, or with pasta (when i am doing it with pasta. i use twice the amount of tomato juice so as to get lots of sauce.).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs that Make Their Own Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (338 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.0
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 126.5 mg
- Sodium 620.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 26.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: