Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
The stroganoff recipe is easy and very tasty whether you use beef or meatballs. The original recipe called for top sirloin cut into cubes and sauteed until browned. I have changed this dish to make with meatballs. Since my stepkids readily eat meatballs. The sauce is simple with a wonderful flavor. I usually serve this over buttered parsley egg noodles.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup beef consomme
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 dash nutmeg
- In small bowl combine milk and breadcrumbs and let set for 10minutes.
- In a large bowl combine breadcrumb mixture with beef, egg, onion, parsley, parmsean, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Form in to small balls (golf ball size) and place on greased baking sheet. Keep them spaced about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In large skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and saute unil veggies are soften.
- Add consomme and bring to a boil. Add meatballs to skillet and let simmer covered for about 10minutes.
- In cup combine wine and flour. Add mixture to skillet and heat until boiling,stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Stir in parsley, catsup, dijon, sour cream and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. DO NOT LET BOIL. Simmer until heated thru.
- Serve over egg noodles.
If you look at the ingredient list this is a bit overwhelming but I set everything ready and then the cooking itself is pretty quick. This results in a lovely sauce and I served it with spaghetti, a salad and crusty bread. I did use more garlic and parsley then the recipe asked for.