I make the "meatballs" for this dish from leftover hamburgers from my "Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers". I also use the leftover grilled onion slices from that recipe. This is like grilling once to dine twice. It's a smart way to use the grill, and an easy way to enjoy two deliciously different meals. These two perfect partners - beef and onions - are grilled once, but twice the amount you need for one meal. Enjoy half one night and save the other half for another night during the week. However, feel free to use your own version of meatballs for this recipe or your own leftover grilled hamburgers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 hamburger patties (grilled and leftover from my Grilled Onion Cheeseburgers recipe or your own leftover grilled burgers)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- onion, slices grilled and cut in half (leftover from my Grilled Onion Cheeseburger recipe or grill your own onion slices)
- 3 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 1/2 cups uncooked regular penne pasta or 4 1/2 cups whole wheat penne
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1Cut each burger into 6 equal pieces.
- 2Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat; add burger pieces, onions and tomatoes.
- 3Cook 8-10 minutes or until burgers are heated through, stirring frequently.
- 4Stir in basil, salt and pepper.
- 5Set aside.
- 6Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- 7Add beef mixture, toss to coat.
- 8Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- 9Sprinkle with cheese, as desired.
- 10Tip: Eight cups cooked corkscrew (rotini) pasta may be substituted for penne.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for ' Meatballs' & Pasta With Grilled Onions & Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 824.3
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 80.2 mg
- Sodium 377.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: