Recipe by mersaydees
I think this is a great recipe from the Simply Simpatico cookbook put out by the Junior League of Albuquerque, New Mexico. This also makes an excellent appetizer. Cooking time does not include the 1 hour refrigeration time.
Top Review by loof
Delicious meatballs! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and served over brown rice, otherwise made as directed. The mole sauce is terrific - I used hot chili powder and the sauce was rich and spicy. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup corn chips, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 unsweetened chocolate square
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beef, egg, corn chips, milk and 1 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Shape into 15 meatballs, using 2 tablespoons meat mixture for each.
- Place flour in small shallow bowl or plate and roll meatballs in it lightly, coating completely.
- In large, heavy skillet, melt butter. In batches, saute meatballs in butter until nicely browned all over. When browned, remove meatballs.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic, stirring occasionaly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and remaining salt and flour.Stir into skillet along with tomatoes, chocolate, and 1 cup water, mixing well. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover pan and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add meatballs to skillet; cover and simmer 20 more minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce into warm serving dish.
- Serve over hot rice.