Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I think this is a great recipe from the Simply Simpatico cookbook put out by the Junior League of Albuquerque, New Mexico. This also makes an excellent appetizer. Cooking time does not include the 1 hour refrigeration time.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup corn chips, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 unsweetened chocolate square
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- Combine beef, egg, corn chips, milk and 1 teaspoon salt in large bowl. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Shape into 15 meatballs, using 2 tablespoons meat mixture for each.
- Place flour in small shallow bowl or plate and roll meatballs in it lightly, coating completely.
- In large, heavy skillet, melt butter. In batches, saute meatballs in butter until nicely browned all over. When browned, remove meatballs.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and garlic, stirring occasionaly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, and remaining salt and flour.Stir into skillet along with tomatoes, chocolate, and 1 cup water, mixing well. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cover pan and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add meatballs to skillet; cover and simmer 20 more minutes.
- Uncover and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce into warm serving dish.
- Serve over hot rice.
Delicious meatballs! I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and served over brown rice, otherwise made as directed. The mole sauce is terrific - I used hot chili powder and the sauce was rich and spicy. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for ZWT8, Chefs gone WILD!
Fantastic, moist meatballs with these ingredients and method. We loved them. I haven't seen the coat-with-flour-first method, nor the exact steam-boil combo. I would have preferred a little more chocolate in it, but I have to give it 5 stars because of the excellent meatballs and DH being as happy as a clam. Like the other reviewer, I had to use fresh cilantro because I didn't have the ground coriander in the cupboard, and the meatballs were already well on their way before I discovered it. Anyway, thank you for a great meal. It was a pleasure. ZWT5
I made this as a meal to have over rice, and I loved the combination of flavors and spices in this one! It was just spicy enough to be interesting, but no spices were overpowering. I did use fresh cilantro instead of the coriander, and used about 1 tsp. as I didn't want it to overpower the other flavors, and it worked out well! Served over rice it made a great dinner for the 3 of us! Thank you so much for sharing it with us Mersaydees! Made for Newest Zaar Stars 3/09 Linda