Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
(Not even a far distant cousin of Mayonnaise.) Found on a blog somewhere out there in Blogland but I forgot to bookmark it. Always a double take with cardamom whether it be a sweet, or in this case, savory dish: (Cardamom, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways! ...to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach...!) The meatballs can be prepared with all beef or all lamb if you wish, however, a combination of the two meats is preferred. A couple of changes were made to the recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup finely ground breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- salt (I use about one half teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients and refrigerate until chilled. (Chilling the meat makes it much easier to form into meatballs.).
- Shape into 18 meatballs and arrange on a parchment lined (not foiled lined or the meatballs will stick-trust me!).
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until browned and no longer pink inside.
- Serve with your favorite yogurt dip.
These were really good! Made them without the cardamom and still loved them. They kinda tasted like tacos! Made for ZWT6
I cut everything down and rather then meatballs had a mini burger. I only had ground beef but would love to try it with the lamb too. The cumin is a nice touch, though the dill seemed like an odd flavor addition. Since I wasn't making meat balls I left out the egg and crumbs and everything still held together just fine. After pan frying I had this bunless on a plate with some grilled onions. This was a nice change from my usual lunch, thanks cookgirl for sharing. Made for ZWT 6 for the Unrulies Under the Influence.
Fantastic aroma as it bakes, followed by a wonderful flavor that is at once bold and obvious, and laced with more subtle savory overtones. Made for Zaar World Tour 6, the Voracious Vagabonds.