Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is here through the courtesy of the great Mildred "Mama Dip" Council. If you didn't yet know about this great Southern treasure, read up on her life story and buy her cookbook. You will not regret it!
- 1 (16 ounce) jarprepared hot salsa
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb ground sirloin (or lean ground beef)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (I use fresh minced garlic and salt, but this is the original recipe)
- 2 tablespoons prepared steak sauce (like A1)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Combine the salsa with the tomato sauce in a saucepan and start warming together over low heat.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together with your hands until thoroughly combined.
- Form the mixture into 20 1-inch balls.
- Bake the meatballs on a cookie sheet or baking pan at 350°F for 25 minutes.
- Transfer the meatballs to a casserole, pour the heated sauce over the top and bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven off, leaving the dish inside, and let it set in the cooling oven for 20 to 25 minutes until serving.