Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Use leftover mashed potatoes to make edible "container" for the meatballs. We've enjoyed this recipe many times. Thank you Chef#70073 for help on how to freeze this. Have reduced the vinegar since AZYRTCH's review. :)
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 2⁄3 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes and egg.
- Using an ice cream scoop, place eight mounds of potato mixture onto a sprayed jelly roll pan.
- Combine onion, celery, beef, oats,dry milk, salt, and pepper; shape into eight meatballs.
- Press one meatball halfway into each potato "cup".
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes, or until meat and potatoes are browned.
- If you are going to freeze them, place the potato/meatball mixture in a cupcake liner inside a muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrneheit but only until the meatball browns, about 11 minutes. Remove from oven, remove from muffin pan, cool and freeze. Later, defrost however many you need in the refrigerator; bake at 350 until hot and proceed with rest of recipe.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a small saucepan, blend in flour.
- Gradually add in beef broth and vinegar.
- Cook and stir until until smooth and thickened.
- Taste test for thyme, pepper and salt.
- Spoon gravy over potato cups and pass any remaining gravy.
This was very good! I left out the celery because I didn't have any, otherwise made as directed. I think next time I will reduce the red-wine vinegar to just 1 tsp, DH said it was a bit strong for him. Made for PRMR Holiday Special December 2009.
Fun recipe for pure comfort food! I left out the onion, otherwise made as specified. Great and easy way to use leftover mashed potatoes - thanks for sharing the recipe!
A very unique, and tasty recipe here. I made recipe as posted, except I left out the salt. Very satisfied. This is a keeper here. Made for 1-2-3 hit wonders.