1/2 Photos of Meatballs in Potato Cups
Use leftover mashed potatoes to make edible "container" for the meatballs. We've enjoyed this recipe many times. Thank you Chef#70073 for help on how to freeze this. Have reduced the vinegar since AZYRTCH's review. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 egg
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 2/3 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2In a mixing bowl, combine mashed potatoes and egg.
- 3Using an ice cream scoop, place eight mounds of potato mixture onto a sprayed jelly roll pan.
- 4Combine onion, celery, beef, oats,dry milk, salt, and pepper; shape into eight meatballs.
- 5Press one meatball halfway into each potato "cup".
- 6Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 to 40 minutes, or until meat and potatoes are browned.
- 7If you are going to freeze them, place the potato/meatball mixture in a cupcake liner inside a muffin pan. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrneheit but only until the meatball browns, about 11 minutes. Remove from oven, remove from muffin pan, cool and freeze. Later, defrost however many you need in the refrigerator; bake at 350 until hot and proceed with rest of recipe.
- 8Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a small saucepan, blend in flour.
- 9Gradually add in beef broth and vinegar.
- 10Cook and stir until until smooth and thickened.
- 11Taste test for thyme, pepper and salt.
- 12Spoon gravy over potato cups and pass any remaining gravy.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs in Potato Cups
Serving Size: 1 (323 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.9
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 115.0 mg
- Sodium 1151.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 25.1 g