This is a recipe I got from the Homebasic magasine. I made it and used onion instead of green onions. The taste of the broth is delicious. My son liked this recipe.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red wine (Merlot)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, pickle, parsley, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Roll mixture into 2-inch balls. In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, brown the meatballs in olive oil. Transfer the meatballs to a slow cooker.
- Discard any fat from the pan and return to heat. Add the red wine to the hot pan and scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Allow the wine to cook and reduce by half.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and beef broth. Stir the mixture into the wine, then pour over the meatballs.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 4 hours. Serve meatballs and sauce with rice, potatoes or pasta.