Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sauce is versatile and can be used in other dishes.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, cut in quarters
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef stock or 1 beef bouillon cube
- 3⁄4 cup dry red wine (Burgundy or Chianti)
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (8 ounce) can pearl onions, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- Meatballs: Combine all meatball ingredients mixing well.
- Shape into balls using about 2 Tablespoons mixture for each one.
- Place on a greased, rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake at 500 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Wine Sauce: In a frying pan, melt butter.
- Add mushrooms.
- Stir over medium heat until golden.
- Pour in the water, sprinkle in beef stock base or bouillon cube and stir to dissolve.
- Add wine, catsup, bay leaf, onions and garlic.
- Slowly blend 1/4 cup cold water into the cornstarch and stir into the mixture.
- Cook, sitrirng until boiles and thickens.
- To serve, place meatballs on a bed of cooked rice and pour sauce over meatballs.