Recipe by Lanagirl
I got this out of a cookbook called Cocina de la Familia. This is one of my families favorite recipes. I have also served it to company and it was a big hit. I serve this with fresh tortillas to mop up the delicious sauce. I also serve it with two other recipes out of the same book which I will post when I am done with this one. (Pepper Slaw & Seasoned White Rice) I hope you enjoy as much as we do!!
For the Sauce
- 14 1⁄2 ounces tomatoes, pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano (mexican)
- 1 -2 canned chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground lean pork
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes garlic oregano 1 chile both and salt into blender (add other chile and more salt if desired).
- Heat oil in dutch oven, when oil is very hot add tomato mixture and cook for 5 mins, lower heat and simmer 5 minutes The color will change from red to deep orange.
- place grd beef and pork in bowl, add garlic parsley salt and pepper, mix. Add bread crumbs and raw egg mix again and add milk if too dry.
- put about 1 heaping tbsp of meat in palm and flatten, add a large pinch of chopped egg in center. Bring up sides of meat to cover egg and form meatball.
- Bring sauce to a slow boil, drop each meatball directly into the sauce and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.