Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Pork meatballs in a tasty sweet and sour cherry sauce.
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped water chestnut
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb pitted dark sweet cherry, from a can
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- FOR THE MEATBALLS: Prepare sauce and set aside.
- Mix meat ingredients well and shape into 3 dozen small balls. Brown slowly in skillet without added fat. Drain well, add to sauce and simmer gently about 10 minutes. Serve hot with cocktail picks.
- FOR THE CHERRY SAUCE: Drain cherries from a 1 pound can or from a 1 pound jar and put syrup in large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Cut cherries in half and add to mixture. Cook, stirring, until clear and slightly thickened.
- Woman’s Day.
This is a wonderful recipe. I served it at a Christmas party in a crockpot. Very yummy, and nice because it could be prepared ahead of time.