Recipe by loof
Clipped from a January 1998 issue of the Houston Chronicle, these baked meatballs are easy to make and kid-friendly. Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles topped with the yummy gravy!
Top Review by Deantini
We enjoyed this dish. I used ground turkey and omitted the green pepper. I did not have jarred mushrooms, and sauteed fresh mushrooms instead with a lid to keep the juices. I made 1/2 a recipe of the meatballs but kept the sauce the same and we did not have a whole lot extra, so if you are inclined to up the sauce amount do not hesitate. I served over noodles.
- 1⁄4 green bell pepper
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup cooked rice (leftover is fine)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 (2 ounce) jar mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Finely chop the bell pepper and celery.
- Combine the ground beef, bell pepper, celery, rice, salt, pepper and egg in a large bowl; mix with your hands until well mixed. Divide into 12 equal portions and roll each into a ball. Place the meatballs in a greased 2-qt casserole dish.
- Combine the mushroom soup, buttermilk, and the liquid from the jar of mushrooms. Beat until smooth.
- Sprinkle mushrooms over meatballs. Pour the sauce over all. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.