Recipe by happynana
In the sauce it is 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning. It will for some reason not show up. Got this from a friend many years ago. Can doctor up with spice when making the meatballs to your liking. I always add fresh garlic to the meat mixture along with a dash of red pepper flakes. The sauce is excellent. Not sure how many it serves exactly. They are one of the first things that go at our parties. I simmer in my crockpot.
Top Review by kiwidutch
I cut this down by a quarter and made this for dinner. I used 3 cloves of fresh garlic, and subbed some appelmoes (Dutch applesauce) for the apple jelly (that I can't get here) I used Recipe#173865 for the italian seasoning .. and was heavy handed with it ! DH was fairly lukewarm about the sauce while I was making it ...Dutch folks are raised to eat appelmoes and eat as if it were a vegetable, he must be the only one in this country that hates the stuff.. and anything tomato-ey gets the evil eye from him too.. but as usual I told him to keep an open mind and when these came out of the oven he liked them so much that he went back for seconds and wanted leftovers for lunch tomorrow. For me I liked the sauce too, but would beef up the actual meatballs substantually with more herbs and maybe something like allspice or cardamom and herbs for extra flavour. Please see my Rating System: 4 excellent stars for letting me get appelmoes successfully past DH and for a meatball recipe that I will be pleased to make again... Thanks !
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (not in original recipe) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (not in original recipe) (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 24 ounces brooks catsup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 8 -10 ounces apple jelly, small jar
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all meatball ingredients and roll into balls.
- Bake on pan with sides such as cake pan or jelly roll pan for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together all sauce ingredients in large pan on top of stove.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Once meatballs are baked add to sauce and mix well.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- I like to simmer the meatballs and sauce in my crockpot.