Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 6 hrs
In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
Make and share this Meatballs and Marinara recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef (85% )
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, removed from its casing
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar, plus extra as needed
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onion, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer half of onion mixture to large bowl; set aside.
- Stir wine into skillet with remaining onion mixture and scrape up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir tomatoes, water, and soy sauce into slow cooker.
- Add bread and milk to bowl of onion mixture and mash to paste with fork.
- Mix in ground beef, sausage, Parmesan, parsley, egg yolks, ¾ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper using hands.
- Pinch off and roll mixture into 1 ½ inch meatballs (about 18 meatballs total).
- Microwave meatballs on large plate until fat renders and meatballs are firm, 5-7 minutes.
- Nestle meatballs into slow cooker, discarding rendered fat.
- Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- Let meatballs and sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Gently stir in basil and sugar, season with salt and pepper and sugar to taste, and serve.
- Serve with 1 ½ lb cooked spaghetti.