In ‘ Slow Cooker Revolution’ by ATK
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef (85% )
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, removed from its casing
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar, plus extra as needed
- 1Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- 2Add onion, tomato paste, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- 3Transfer half of onion mixture to large bowl; set aside.
- 4Stir wine into skillet with remaining onion mixture and scrape up any browned bits; transfer to slow cooker.
- 5Stir tomatoes, water, and soy sauce into slow cooker.
- 6Add bread and milk to bowl of onion mixture and mash to paste with fork.
- 7Mix in ground beef, sausage, Parmesan, parsley, egg yolks, ¾ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper using hands.
- 8Pinch off and roll mixture into 1 ½ inch meatballs (about 18 meatballs total).
- 9Microwave meatballs on large plate until fat renders and meatballs are firm, 5-7 minutes.
- 10Nestle meatballs into slow cooker, discarding rendered fat.
- 11Cover and cook until meatballs are tender, 4-6 hours on LOW.
- 12Let meatballs and sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 13Gently stir in basil and sugar, season with salt and pepper and sugar to taste, and serve.
- 14Serve with 1 ½ lb cooked spaghetti.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs and Marinara
Serving Size: 1 (519 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 495.1
- Calories from Fat 221
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 142.3 mg
- Sodium 1244.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 33.9 g