1/3 Photos of Meatballs and Gravy (Spaghetti Sauce)
2 hrs 30 mins
We used to have this every Wednesday. This is essentially my grandma's recipe, I just add more cheese to the meatballs than she did. Sometimes I leave the neckbones out and add some Italian sausage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 pork bones (neckbones)
- 1Place ground beef, pork, bread crumbs, Romano cheese, eggs, milk, seasoned salt and basil into a large bowl.
- 2Mix well with hands; shape into 24 balls.
- 3Brown meatballs in pan, making sure to keep a thin layer of water on the bottom of the pan at all times to prevent burning.
- 4While meatballs are cooking, start the gravy.
- 5Brown onion lightly in olive oil in a large pot.
- 6Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 minutes.(Do not burn.).
- 7Add tomato paste and water.
- 8Stir until tomato paste is thinned.
- 9Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 10Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat.
- 11When meatballs are done, add to sauce.
- 12Simmer, covered loosely, over low heat about 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- 13If sauce is too thick water may be added.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatballs and Gravy (Spaghetti Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (518 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 438.7
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 103.3 mg
- Sodium 1372.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 29.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lawry's Seasoned Salt