Cook2 hrs 30 mins
We used to have this every Wednesday. This is essentially my grandma's recipe, I just add more cheese to the meatballs than she did. Sometimes I leave the neckbones out and add some Italian sausage.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 cup romano cheese, freshly grated
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 pork bones (neckbones)
- Place ground beef, pork, bread crumbs, Romano cheese, eggs, milk, seasoned salt and basil into a large bowl.
- Mix well with hands; shape into 24 balls.
- Brown meatballs in pan, making sure to keep a thin layer of water on the bottom of the pan at all times to prevent burning.
- While meatballs are cooking, start the gravy.
- Brown onion lightly in olive oil in a large pot.
- Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 minutes.(Do not burn.).
- Add tomato paste and water.
- Stir until tomato paste is thinned.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bring to a slow boil and reduce heat.
- When meatballs are done, add to sauce.
- Simmer, covered loosely, over low heat about 2 hours, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- If sauce is too thick water may be added.
I thought the meatballs were on the mushy side, could have used some black pepper. Nothing too fantastic.
I have made this few times,making it again tonight and just remembered to comment on it!. This is absolutely scrumptious! the only thing i do differently is omit the neckbones,put extra cheese and fresh basil in meatballs and add about a cup of white wine and few basil leaves into the gravy!!my family loves it and wants me to make it all the time! thanks for sharing this great recipe :):)