Recipe by threeovens
This recipe works best with ground beef or ground lamb. You may want to use more of the spices if using ground chicken, pork, or turkey.
Roasted red pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, preferably piquillo peppers (2 oz)
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt (can use Greek)
- 1 lb ground lamb or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄8 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄8 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup chickpeas, drained if from a can
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the red pepper sauce by pureeing the peppers in a food processor; whisk together with broth and yogurt.
- To make the meatballs, get a large bowl and combine the ground meat, egg, garlic, minced parsley, thyme, and smoked paprika; use your hands to gently mix.
- Form into 8 2-inch meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet until shimmering, over medium high heat; brown meatballs on all sides, about 8 minutes.
- Push the meatballs to one side, add red pepper sauce and chickpeas; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce reduces slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt.
- Transfer meatballs and chickpeas to a serving platter; spoon sauce over top, garnish with parsley, and serve with additional yogurt.