Meatballs Al Forno - Tyler Florence
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Tear the baguette in pieces and soak in a bowl with milk for 10 minutes until the bread is soft.
- In a second bowl, mix the beef and pork together. Twist up half the parsley and the basil into a little pile, roughly chop it and add to the meat. Add garlic and mix thoroughly with your hands.
- Squeeze the milk out of the bread and add it in small pieces. (Throw the milk away.).
- Add eggs, Parmesan, ground pine nuts, salt, and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly. Shape the meatballs into large patties then roll them in the bread crumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat until it begins to smoke slightly. Fry the meatballs to seal the crust, flip them over so both sides are done. Transfer to a large baking dish.
- Add a splash of oil to pan and fry the mushrooms on a low heat until they start to caramelize. Cut the tomatoes in half (quarters if large), and hand-crush them in a separate bowl. Drizzle with olive oil. Add salt and a few cranks of fresh cracked pepper and mix. Add to the mushrooms. Let everything simmer together and reduce slightly for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the tomatoes and mushrooms over the meatballs. Shred the remaining basil and parsley and the mozzarella over it. Drizzle with olive oil and add a few cranks of pepper. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes.