Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an old family recipe from my husband's Swedish grandmother. I don't know if it's Swedish, but it's good.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 1⁄2 lb ground chuck
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, snipped
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup raw potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups water (or chicken broth)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes, diced
- For soup, add all ingredients to Dutch oven.
- Boil for 30 minutes.
- Make meatballs: Mix all ingredients and shape into 12 balls.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes and then drop into boiling soup and simmer 10 minutes.
Terrific vegetable soup! Even DH had seconds and thats almost unheard of for anything! I'll fess up to using veggie "meatless"balls that I keep almost all the time in the freezer and veggie broth. Loved the tomato-veggie broth and the fresh vegetables. I didn't add any salt and neither of us thought it was needed. 5 stars from DH and I so I guess thats 10 stars. Made for Photo Tag.
Hi, This was great. I used ground turkey since I have to limit my red meat (and face it, I save that up for steak). The only other alteration I made was to reduce the salt to 1/2 tsp salt, since I have to watch my sodium intake. Even with these changes the recipe was great. 5 stars all the way.