Great for supper on a chilly day.
Make and share this Meatball Tortellini Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, well drained
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups beef broth or 4 cups beef stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans or 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, including juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 cup finely diced carrot
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 (9 ounce) package cheese-filled tortellini
- Combine the beef, spinach (very well drained), bread crumbs, egg, salt and pepper.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Heat oil in Dutch oven; add meatballs.
- Brown on all sides, rolling them around.
- Remove and reserve.
- Add the onion to the pot.
- Cook, stirring until soft.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, with their liquid (break up with spoon), beans, oregano and basil.
- Cover, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery, simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add tortellini. and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Return meatballs to the stew and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve steaming hot with Parmesan cheese on top.