Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Food Network light weeknight cooking article
Make and share this Meatball-Tortellini Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 quart low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 4 cups loosely packed Baby Spinach (about 3 ounces)
- salt and pepper
- Combine the beef, parmesan, 2 tbsp parsley, the egg, garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl; mix with your hands until just combined. Form into 1-inch meatballs; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning until golden, 3 to 4 minutes; remove to plate. Add the carrots and celery to pot; cook, stirring until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Return the meatballs to the pot along with the remaining 2 tbsp parsely and 1/2 tsp salt. Simmer until the meatballs are just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tortellini and cook until they float to the top, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Top with more parmesan.