1/8 Photos of Meatball Tagine With Herbs and Lemon
1 hr 20 mins
This delightful recipe comes from "Cooking Moroccan" by Tess Mallos. The meatballs do not need to be browned, which simplifies the prep. A tagine is an clay vessel, however, you do not need one to prepare this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 egg
- 18 ounces ground lamb or 18 ounces ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Herb and Lemon Sauce
- 4 teaspoons butter or 4 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red chili peppers, seeded and sliced or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 preserved lemon, pulp removed and rind cut into strips (optional)
- 1Prepare the meatballs: put the onion and parsley in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
- 2Tear the bread into pieces, add to the onion, along with the egg, and process briefly.
- 3Add the meat, cumin, paprika, pepper and 1 teaspoons salt and process to a thick paste, scraping down the side of the bowl occasionally.
- 4Alternative preparation: grate the onion, chop the parsley, crumb the bread, and add to the meat in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Knead until the mixture is paste like in consistency.
- 5With moistened hands, shape the mixture into walnut-sized balls and place them on a tray. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- 6Prepare the sauce: heat the butter or oil in a saucepan and add the onion. Cook over low heat until softened and golden.
- 7Add the paprika, turmeric, cumin and chili or cayenne pepper, and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- 8Add the chicken stock and cilantro and bring to a boil.
- 9Add the meatballs to the pan, shaking so that they settle into the sauce. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 10Add most of the parsley and the lemon juice and season, if necessary. Return to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 11If using preserved lemon, add now.
- 12Transfer to a tagine or bowl, and sprinkle with remaining parsley.
- 13Note 1: author suggests serving with crusty bread. I also suggest rice or couscous.
- 14Note 2: I substituted a yellow curry powder for the turmeric, as turmeric is a principal ingredient in curry powder.
- 15Note 3: I sometimes need to add a little additional stock for the sauce, depending on the pot I use.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatball Tagine With Herbs and Lemon
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.5
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 152.5 mg
- Sodium 326.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 26.9 g