Recipe by Charmie777
This is my all time favorite soup! It is so hearty and goes wonderful with some crusty bread. Altho it's a long list of ingredients, it's really very simple.
Top Review by carolrockman
instead of adding water to the soup i added 4 cups of V-8 juice and gave the soup a tomato base. We really enjoyed this soup this way. Great recipe. It was ez to make. I also added 1/2 c of green pepper and some fresh mushrooms to the ingredients because I had them in the fridge. Tasted great and will definitely make again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I prefer tomato puree)
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups sliced and peeled carrots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl, combine first 7 ingredients with 3 Tablespoons of water.
- Mix lightly.
- Shape into about 24 meatballs.
- In hot butter in large Dutch oven, saute meatballs, a single layer at a time, until browned on all sides.
- Drain off fat.
- Set meatballs aside.
- In same Dutch oven, combine 2 cups water with remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boiling, then reduce heat, and simmer, covered, but stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Add meatballs and simmer 20-30 minutes longer.
- Good served with Parmesan on top.
- If soups seems too thick, thin with water.