Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
One of my kids' favorite meals. The meatballs can be prepared ahead of time and frozen, if desired.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
- 6 -8 sub rolls (hoagie rolls) or 6 -8 hot dog buns
- mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
- Place first seven ingredients in large bowl. Mix thoroughly with your hands just until combined. (I wear food prep gloves.) Shape into approximately 30 1-inch balls.
- Bake in an ungreased oblong pan (13x9x2) in a 400°F oven until light brown, 20-25 minutes. OR: microwave meatballs in an ungreased baking dish, 6 minutes on High, turning once. OR: cook over medium heat in frying pan, turning occasionally, until brown, about 20 minutes.
- Place cooked meatballs and spaghetti sauce in crock pot. Cook on low for about 2 hours. If you cook longer, stir every hour or so.
- Place meatballs and sauce in buns/rolls and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Note, I microwave the meatballs to cook them.
- (A friend places the raw meatballs & sauce in the crock-pot and cooks them for 8+ hours on low, but I have never tried this.).
Followed directions exactly as stated and it make the most wonderful meatballs and so easy to do. When it was done put meatballs on fresh hoagies with a slice of provelone and bake in the oven for about 6 minutes to get toasty. My kids loved it too. Thank you Marg for posting, I don't know what I would do if nice people like you didn't post these great recipes.
Ok, I must confess that I used my own meatball and sauce recipe for this. What I wanted to review, however, was the idea behind this--I had never thought to put it all together in the crock pot and let the flavors blend. I tried cooking the raw meatballs in the sauce for 8 hours and they were fantastic. I LOVE this idea and meatball subs are now on our monthly rotation. THANK YOU!!
We loved this recipe! I doubled the meatball ingredients and made 72 small meatballs, baked them in the oven for 20 minutes and then put them in the crock pot for about 2 hours with double the sauce. I also added some italian herbs when throwing in the breadcrumbs for some extra flavour. I'm so glad I doubled everything as there are leftovers and then some more for the freezer! They tasted fantastic and I'll definitely be making this again- DH requested them every week! Many thanks for a new favourite!