Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My third child loooves these with her roll smeared with a mixture of mayo and cream cheese.
Make and share this Meatball Subs recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (to fry)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch sugar (to taste)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- shredded mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese or cheddar cheese
- olive oil
- crusty rolls or French baguettes or hoagie roll
- For the Meatballs: In a large bowl, combine all meatball ingredients except the olive oil. Mix lightly.
- Using wet hands, lightly form meatballs (do not compress or the meatballs will be tough).
- In a skillet, heat olive oil. (I use a cast iron dutch oven and after browing the meatballs, I wipe out the bottom to make the sauce.) When oil is hot, add meatballs leaving an inch of space between them for turning. Turn frequently over medium low heat until all meatballs are browned all around. Remove and drain on paper towels. This step may be done in batches, adding extra oil, if necessary.
- For the Sauce: Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and garlic. When garlic starts sizzling, add herbs and crushed pepper. Allow oil to infuse for half a minute, then stir in the tomatoes and seasonings. Bring sauce to bubbline, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer meatballs to bubbling pasta sauce and simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes, stirring carefuly so as not to break up the meatballs. You can off-set a lid to contain spattering.
- To Serve: Split crusty sub rolls or baguettes, brush with olive oil and toast lightly under broiler.
- Fill rolls with meatballs (they may be left whole, sliced or chopped). Add a few spoonfuls of sauce and top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Run under the broiler or heat in microwave just until cheese on top has melted.