Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
There is some prep time involved, but they are always a big hit.
- 3 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 ounce tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices (parsley, basil, rosemary, oregano)
- salt and pepper
- garlic, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (more or less)
- 1 egg
- 5 (11 ounce) cans pizza sauce (adjust seasonings to taste)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Shredded
- 12 hoagie rolls (don't skimp on the rolls!)
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and add the ground beef, seasonings, tomato paste and some bread crumbs.
- Mix all ingredients together. Add more seasonings and bread crumbs if needed.
- Form meatballs and place them in a large saucepan. Don't make them too big, you want 4 each to fint into the roll.
- Cook the meatballs slowly, turning frequently so they brown evenly.
- While the meatballs cook, pour the tomato sauce or pizza sauce into a crock pot or other large pot. Use enough sauce to cover the meatballs, no exact amount is necessary. Begin heating the sauce.
- When the meatballs are done, place them in the sauce.
- After the sauce is hot, serve on rolls make a slit end to end on the top of each roll careful not to go too deep. With both hands use 4 fingers to open a cavity in the roll. Place 4 meatballs in each roll, top with sauce and shredded mozzarella and place under the broiler just until cheese is melted.