Recipe by Kikimony
OK, our family loves this sub sandwich BUT, you can also make this into mini meatloaves. Very tasty!
Top Review by Healthy and Happy
Aaaawh, this was soooo good. How I end up try n this recipe I was out of marinera and spagetti sauce hungry and been craving meatballs all week, so I decided to give it a try, and boy was I glad I did. I topped the sub with grated parmasean and sweet and spicy banana peppers, that's how I make it at the sub shops too. Yummy. Thanks so much for sharing.
- submarine sandwich bun
- 1 1⁄4 cups bread, from buns (see recipe)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, diced or julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a thin slice off top of each roll.
- Scoop out bread from inside.
- Crumble 1 1/4 cup of bread and place in large bowl.
- Cover rolls and set aside.
- Add beef, egg, milk, diced onion, salt and pepper to bread.
- Shape into meatballs @ 1 1/2" each.
- Cook meatballs in 1 tbsp oil for 20-25 minutes or no longer pink.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Set aside.
- Add remaining oil.
- Saute peppers and onions until tender.
- Stir flour in skillet.
- Add chili sauce and water.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and mustard.
- Add meatballs, peppers and onions.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Warm bread and spoon meatballs into them and replace top.