OK, our family loves this sub sandwich BUT, you can also make this into mini meatloaves. Very tasty!
- submarine sandwich bun
- 1 1⁄4 cups bread, from buns (see recipe)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, diced or julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Cut a thin slice off top of each roll.
- Scoop out bread from inside.
- Crumble 1 1/4 cup of bread and place in large bowl.
- Cover rolls and set aside.
- Add beef, egg, milk, diced onion, salt and pepper to bread.
- Shape into meatballs @ 1 1/2" each.
- Cook meatballs in 1 tbsp oil for 20-25 minutes or no longer pink.
- Remove with slotted spoon.
- Set aside.
- Add remaining oil.
- Saute peppers and onions until tender.
- Stir flour in skillet.
- Add chili sauce and water.
- Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar and mustard.
- Add meatballs, peppers and onions.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Warm bread and spoon meatballs into them and replace top.
Aaaawh, this was soooo good. How I end up try n this recipe I was out of marinera and spagetti sauce hungry and been craving meatballs all week, so I decided to give it a try, and boy was I glad I did. I topped the sub with grated parmasean and sweet and spicy banana peppers, that's how I make it at the sub shops too. Yummy. Thanks so much for sharing.
Great sandwich! Whole family loved it. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!
Great idea using some of the bread from the bun - they are often just too overwhelming.. I didn't use any flour for the chili sauce. This is a very tasty Sub sanwich Thanks for posting Stephanie