Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
A new spin on the classic meatball sub. This works great especially when you only have sliced bread on hand and no hoagie rolls. The panini effect keeps the sliced bread from getting soggy.
- 2 slices sourdough bread or 2 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 -2 meatballs, cooked (I recommend Meatballs Italiano)
- 2 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons marinara sauce
- Pre-heat panini grill to medium-high.
- Slice meatballs into 1/4" rounds. Warm meatballs and marinara sauce in the microwave.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread, lay butter-side down on your work surface.
- On one slice of bread, layer ingredients in the following order: 1oz cheese, marinara sauce, meatball slices, more marinara sauce, remaining cheese, top piece of bread, with buttered sides facing out.
- Place assembled sandwich on the hot grill, and close, pressing down for about a minute. Continue cooking for a few minutes, until golden brown.
After this you won't be able to order a meatball sub at a restaurant again - this is so much tastier, cheesier and easier to eat; since the meatballs are pressed in, you don't have to worry about one rolling out on the floor! I used Cheese-Stuffed Meatballs.