Recipe by mums the word
This is a combination of a few recipes already posted here on Food.com. I have made slight changes to the ingredients and the cooking method to suit my family. I am only posting this in response to a forum request. Thank you to the previous posters for their inspiration.
- 1⁄3 cup light cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Italian spices
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread
- 340 g frozen meatballs
- 1 (28 ounce) can spaghetti sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cream cheese, mayo and spices and let sit 1-2 hours in fridge.
- Slice the loaf of bread in half horizontally and place on a cookie sheet.
- Broil about 1-2 minutes until toasted, set aside.
- Set the oven to 375F to preheat.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture on the toasted bread, cut into 2" cubes and place in bottom of 9x13 pan.
- In a non-stick saucepan, heat 1 tsp oil and saute the peppers and mushrooms til tender.
- Add the sauce and meatballs and cook until heated through.
- Spoon the sauce and meatballs over the bread and top with the shredded cheese and parmesan.
- Bake uncovered 10 minutes, just to melt the cheese.