Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
The thyme gives this a lovely flavor.
Make and share this Meatball Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced in half
- 1 (1 lb) bag baby carrots or 1 (1 lb) bag carrot, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 lbs potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- fresh ground pepper
- Mix 1/2 t.
- of the thyme, salt and pepper into the ground beef.
- Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls.
- Place on a baking sheet that has been lightly sprayed with oil.
- Place in a 350°F.
- oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil and add the onions.
- Cook until the onions reach a golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add the celery, and garlic and cook for another 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, broth, 1/2 t.
- thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Add the meatballs to the pot and simmer for another 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Make a roux of 4 T.
- flour and 6 T.
- Stir and remove the lumps.
- Stir the roux into the stew.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
Very,very good!Will make again.Thanks
Hubby was pleasantly surprised by this as he loves stew. I didn't use celery nor wine but it still tasted good. The thyme really added a nice flavour.
Dh (meat and potato monster)says, "Awesome." I did want leftover meatballs for a sandwich so I used Kim Wilson's meatball Meatballs. I left the pot covered while it stewed but the liquid reduced down to 1 cup so I added beef broth to make 2 cups total liquid and then thickened it as directed. It was perfect. Loved the thyme.