Recipe by Dawn
A hearty meatball soup full of vegetables. I use ground veal when making the meatballs, which is a subtler taste. The Original recipe came from a Cookbook called "The International Soup Cookbook", but I have added additional spices to the meatballs and altered it to our tastes.
Top Review by MarshHen
This soup is a keeper! I had everything for the soup in my pantry except the meat to make the meatballs. I did however have a 32 oz. bag of frozen Swedish Meatballs in the freezer, so I browned those and added them to the soup and it was excellent! We did add the Parmesan cheese to each serving. Next time I make it, I will make the meatballs. Thanks for sharing!
- 1 large onion (cut in half, chop one half and slice the other half)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 lb ground veal or 1 lb beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- fresh ground pepper
- flour (for coating)
- 12 ounces cabbage (thinly sliced)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes, chopped (I use canned tomatoes, drained)
- 7 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare onion, finely chop one half and thinly slice the other half and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in frying pan over medium heat and cook chopped onion until softened.
- Add garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes; set aside.
- Prepare meatballs: Put bread crumbs in a mixing bowl and add just enough warm water to cover crumbs.
- Let stand for 2 minutes, drain and squeeze dry.
- Next add sauteed onion and garlic, ground meat, egg and spices and parmesan cheese.
- Mix ingredients and roll into small balls about 3/4 diameter.
- Roll in flour to coat lightly.
- Heat remaining Olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook meatballs until brown.
- Place on plate lined with a paper towel to drain.
- In same frying pan, add reserved onion slices and cabbage, cook for 3-4 minutes until cabbage begins to wilt.
- In a large pot, add add chicken broth,tomatoes, heat over medium heat.
- Add meatballs, cabbage and onions.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce heat, simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- May sprinkle additional Parmesan cheese on soup when serving.