Recipe by Gerry
Recipe from one of my favourite fund raiser cookbooks - the kind that has members share their best recipes. This recipe from their 100th Anniversary Cookbook put out in 2002. Have made this with the very lean ground pork - have also made it with lean ground beef - both were equally delicious! Am very partial to parsnips so if there are left overs they are mine - all mine! A hearty soup perfect for a light lunch or evening meal.
Top Review by Dotty2
Loved it! Loved it! A few simple ingredients and ease of preparation turns this into a hearty soup perfect for any day of the week for family and guests alike. I did add a bit more dill and lemon juice ( personal taste) I served it with recipe#402137 which made for a great meal. A recipe I will have close at hand to serve to my guests . Another of Gerrys wonderful recipes.
- 6 cups water
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (diced)
- 1 medium parsnip (diced)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill (may sub with 1/4 teaspoon dry dill, I always assure fresh dill when making this one)
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley (may sub with dried parsley, I usually add more)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb ground pork (very lean)
- 1⁄2 cup long grain rice
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped, find grated works well for me)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stock:bring water to a boil and add the chopped vegetables. Lower the heat to medium and cook until partly done. Add salt and pepper to taste. ( I do a bit of tweaking - I saute the onions and celery in a little oil - then add in the rest of the vegetables stirring for several minutes before adding the water and bringing to a boil.) then follow through to lowering the heat to medium and cooking until partly cooked.
- Meatballs:Mix all the meatball ingredients and form into 1 inch balls.
- Drop meatballs into the stock mixture.
- Add dill, parsley and lemon juice.
- Cook for 1/2 hour or until meatballs are done.