4 hrs 45 mins
When my mother (now 86 years old) was a young married woman, she rented an apartment from a couple that were Italian immigrants. The wife taught my mother to cook. This is Mrs. Tagglieri's recipe. We requested it often growing up. I hope you enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 can beef broth
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 3 quarts water
- 1 soup bone (optional)
- 1 bunch escarole (washed well and chopped)
- 1/2 bunch celery (washed and chopped in large pieces)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 lb carrot (peeled and cut in thirds)
- 1Bring three quarts water, tomatoes, beef broth, chicken broth, soup bone, onion, and celery to a low boil for two hours.
- 2Add escarole and carrots; cook for an additional hour.
- 3Make small meatballs with ground chuck, egg and breadcrumbs.
- 4Roll meatballs in parmesan cheese.
- 5Add to simmering soup and cook for one additional hour.
- 6Serve with additional parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top and a good crusty italian bread.
- 7It is not necessary to cook the meatballs before adding to the soup as long as you let them simmer for the entire hour, being careful to stir gently every 10 to 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for meatball soup
Serving Size: 1 (741 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.9
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.9 mg
- Sodium 1031.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 24.2 g