Recipe by Spankie
You can simplify this recipe by using frozen mini-meatballs instead of making your own. Also, to stay on Weight Watchers "Core" program, I pulverize 1/4 cup rolled oats in the blender to substitute for the bread crumbs. I don't much care for garbanzo beans and substitute navy or great northern beans.
- 1 beaten egg white
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- nonstick cooking spray
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed well and drained (rinsing the beans removes excess sodium)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian spices, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup tiny bow tie pasta
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves, torn
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, bread crumbs, onion, parsley, garlic powder and pepper. Crumble ground beef and add to mixture; mix well. Shape meat mixture into tiny meatballs, 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter.
- Coat a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Cook meatballs over medium heat about 8 minutes or until no pink remains, turning occasionally to brown evenly. Cover and keep warm over low heat.
- In a large saucepan, stir together water, beans, undrained tomatoes, mushrooms, bouillon granules and Italian seasonings. Bring to boiling.
- Add pasta. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Stir in spinach and meatballs. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or just until spinach is wilted.
- Makes 5 main-dish servings.